Sunday, February 19, 2012

Prayer resources and a plea for tolerance

This week's exercise from The Spiritual Formation Workbook is to spend 5-10 minutes a day in prayer.  That sounds pretty simple, but if you're as ADHD as I am, grasshopper mind cannot stay focused for 2 minutes, much less 5 to 10. Unless I give myself some kind of structure, my prayer life basically consists of, "Dear Heavenly Father, thank You for - squirrel!"

I have some resources I've discovered online that help me stay focused.  If you're a fundie,* you may find these links controversial and disturbing.  That's okay - we all need a little shaking up once in a while.

Getting upset or being argumentative about someone else's spiritual practice doesn't accomplish much, and who knows, in a few years, you might find yourself appreciating or even embracing that other person's position.  If there were only one approach to Jesus, there'd still be only one kind of worship service; instead, there are a lot of different worship styles.  One Lord, one baptism - but a beautiful diversity of prayer and worship.

Thus, I recommend being open, not judgmental, about new experiences.  If you visit a link, and the website is useful, use it.  If something in it sounds "off," compare it to scripture and figure out why it seems wrong to you.  If the practice is biblical but the activity doesn't bring you closer to God, don't get upset - just reflect on the experience and move on. 

Our constant focus should be on the two great commandments, loving God & loving one another.   How we get hung up on all this other stuff, I have no idea; but we are fallen, insecure people in the process of being redeemed and remade in the image of Christ.  We fall down a lot.

Please try to use these links to get closer to Jesus, and if you disagree, extend the rest of us a little grace.  Thanks!

*a strict, evangelical fundamentalist



http://www.universalis.com  "The Liturgy of the Hours (also known as the Divine Office) is the richest single prayer resource of the Christian Church. It provides prayers, psalms and meditation for every hour of every day. It has existed from the earliest times, to fulfil the Lord's command to pray without ceasing."

http://upperroom.org/methodx/thelife/prayermethods/  Ancient and contemporary prayer methods "to help you best speak and listen to God."  My personal fav - lectio divina.

2 comments:

  1. Tina, I can relate with the challenge of being distractible - my mind is like a pinball machine... ding... ding ...ding, ding, ding.

    I agree that each of us will find different ways that work for us to converse with our creator. We all are created differently and thus our means of prayer should also be open to be fit who we are. As you said, it's all about praising, confessing, seeking, listening and just plain sharing time with our wonderful Lord. That can be accomplished in many ways.

    A few things that I've found that have worked for me:

    (1) "Pray without ceasing" can be an ongoing dialogue with Jesus. I *talk* with Him all throughout my day before I embark on tasks/interactions - "Thank you, Jesus for..." "Jesus, guide me in ..." "Jesus help me to "Jesus, help this person hear Your truth as You desire." ...or whatever. It gets to be a habit. For instance, for me, at work, since I'm going into patient's rooms all day, I've associated the knock on their door with a quick prayer regarding that person and my impending interaction with them(got that idea from an article I read). I think of this type of praying as as the "always on my mind" prayer. It makes a big difference in keeping me focused on Him and less on my own stinky flesh as I go about my day.

    (2) Another thing that's worked for me is "sensory deprivation," so to speak, for longer periods of prayer (it's AMAZING what God will bring to mind when we DO get quiet). For instance, I'll sometimes go into the bedroom, turn out the light and close the curtains and lay prostrate or kneel on the bed and set a time, like 30 minutes or so, for focused prayer. The first time I did that I didn't think I could do it. At first it was uncomfortable, and I was a bit "squirmy" but as I stuck it out, I found I "heard" more from God once I let myself be quiet "Be still and know I'm God." Even though the first time I did it, it felt awkward, now I look forward to having that "alone time" with my Lord, although, I have to confess I don't take that longer focused time nearly often enough.

    (3) Another thing that I've found helpful when I'm having a hard time getting "in the groove" so to speak and my mind is "spinning," is speaking the word outloud and meditating on its meaning, sometimes a particular verse or group of verses over and over. For me, it can help get my scattered brain focused on Him through His word, and typically, after a bit, my mind gets oriented to what I need to pray and I shift from the verses to my own praise, thanksgiving, confession, intercession, petition.

    (4) I also often just ask Him "Lord, what would you have me pray?" (I especially end up dong that when I take longer times to pray.) Sometimes someone will come to mind and a prayer will come for that person that I don't even understand, then, later, I find out why the Lord had me pray that.

    Anyway... those are some of the things that, as a "pinball mind," I've found to help to expand my prayer life.

    Keep on praying, Tina, and find what works best for *YOU* to connect with our glorious Lord. It's an incredible privilege we have, to "come boldy to the throne of grace."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, sure you don't want to start your own blog on prayer? Those are awesome ideas!

    ReplyDelete