Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Humility: a lesson for me to take to heart

This discussion of pride and its consequences reminds me that, whether Isaiah 14 refers to the fall of Satan or to the sad end of a mortal man, the lesson is one of humility.  I know I am not alone in this, but I struggle with arrogance and a judgmental attitude.  Humility is something I have consciously been working on for the last decade.

This brings to mind Jer. 10:23,14 (NASB):
I know, O LORD, that a man’s way is not in himself,
Nor is it in a man who walks to direct his steps.
Correct me, O LORD, but with justice;
Not with Your anger, or You will bring me to nothing.

Also this:
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time (I Peter 5:6, NASB).

And lastly, Micah 6:8, a verse that helps keep my heart and life on track:
He has told you, O man, what is good;
And what does the LORD require of you
But to do justice, to love kindness,
And to walk humbly with your God? (NASB)

Four deceptively simple lines sum up the entire Christian life - yet mastering these concepts can occupy an entire lifetime.  Whenever I get too full of myself, this little verse blows away the pride and the cobwebs, and gets me moving again.


No comments:

Post a Comment