Thursday, January 3, 2019

Want to write daily? Get a free 12-month calendar



You think I'm kidding, right? Nope. What inspired me to try this was Gretchen Rubin's truly life-changing book, Better Than Before. She writes:
“Comedian Jerry Seinfeld advised aspiring comedian Brad Isaac that, because daily writing was the key to writing better jokes, Isaac should buy a calendar with a box for every day of the year, and every day, after writing, cross off the day with a big red X” (page 112).
In 2017, I rarely wrote.

In 2018, I used my calendar to give me a quick visual indicator of how often I was writing. The red circles are days I wrote; the black x's are days I didn't. Simply hanging this calendar next to my desk transformed my writing habit, because I could see at a glance whether or not I had written the day before. And I hate seeing black x's instead of nice red circles.



If I counted correctly, I wrote at least 15 minutes a day for 264 days last year. To put that into perspective, if you work 5 days a week and don't take holidays or vacations, you will work 260 days a year. 260 is a great goal, and I met or exceeded that goal.

You don't have to limit yourself to writing - you could use this for exercising, or reading, or any other activity you want to do on a frequent basis.

Here's a link to a free calendar you can use for 2019:  Go to www.blank-calendar.com now.

This simple tool has been great for me.  If it helps you too, leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment