Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Trying Again....A Fresh Start???

Time to stop worrying about being successful, being consistent, being read.  Time to just write again.

This election has shaken my faith.  Not just the results, but the meanness of it, the hatefulness of it, the inability of people at my church to even comprehend what I'm upset about.  So I've been re-examining my faith, and the basis of my faith.

I know that I am no longer an Evangelical Christian.  I'm not sure if I am a Christian, an agnostic, an atheist, or something else. 

The central questions that I have to answer for myself are: 
  •  If the Holy Spirit indwells every believer, and if the Holy Spirit leads us into all the truth, why did so many Evangelicals fall for fake news, and why did the overwhelming majority of them vote for Trump?  
  •  If they cannot distinguish between fact and fiction, reality and lies in the natural realm, what authority do they have in the spiritual realm?  
  •  If they are wrong in the present, how can they be right about the past, and the authority of the Bible, the nature of God, the divinity of Christ, the basics of salvation, etc?

My husband, bless his heart, is content with the non-denominational church we've attended for the last few years,  He likes the music, and appears untroubled by the theological questions that have derailed me.  I can barely walk into the doors of that building; he doesn't want to walk away from the worship team.

I am caught, theologically and practically, between a rock and a hard place here.

No comments:

Post a Comment