Thursday, March 7, 2013

So Why Not "Do It For One"? (Day 23 of Lent)

A few days before He died, Jesus told His disciples:
“Then the King [Jesus] will say to those on his right, ‘Enter, you who are blessed by my Father! Take what’s coming to you in this kingdom. It’s been ready for you since the world’s foundation. And here’s why:
I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me.’

"Then those ‘sheep’ are going to say, ‘Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?’ Then the King will say, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’ " (Matt. 25:34-40, The Message).

Here's how Jesus ended the teaching session:

When Jesus finished saying these things, he told his disciples, “You know that Passover comes in two days. That’s when the Son of Man will be betrayed and handed over for crucifixion.” (Matt. 26:1,2, The Message).

When you know that you're about to die, you also know it's your last chance to say the things that really matter.  You don't chat about the weather.  And what Jesus chose to talk about was "Do it for one"- because caring for "someone overlooked or ignored" is caring for Jesus.

Yeah, that's right - feed a hungry person, and you feed Jesus.  Take care of a sick person, and you take care of Jesus.

Let that sink in for a minute, then go back to Pantano Christian Church's Values and Expectations for Ministry.



So when I cook for my husband (who, as the unfortunate spouse of a somewhat obsessive-compulsive, ADHD writer/artist is often "overlooked or ignored"), I am feeding Jesus.  When I take up the slack because of my husband's back and neck issues, I'm caring for the sick and caring for the Jesus.  Even cleaning the toilet is an expression of love for God.

"Doing it for one" is really "Doing it for Jesus."

Ministry doesn't start in the foyer or the sanctuary; ministry begins at home.

Duh.

No comments:

Post a Comment