Thursday, November 11, 2010

Beyond the Blog: The Human Conversation

Although some may blog in pursuit of riches or fame, of a little ad revenue or a handful of faithful readers, I don't see this blog as a commercial venture.  Nor do I see it in terms of popularity and readership.

There is a conversation which runs throughout human history.  This conversation finds its form in words - spoken or written, improvised, performed.  This conversation is articulated through music and drawing and dance.  We don't remember when this conversation began, but we find it recorded in pigment on ancient cave walls, and we find it here, living and active, on the Internet, on our HD screens, in the voices that surround us.

Why is participation in this creative dialogue so vital?  About ten years ago, I came across this quotation from actress Stella Adler:
Life beats down and crushes the soul and art reminds you that you have one.
If I just focus on politics and the economy, I become crazed from rage and despair.  I need to pull back from the things that crush my soul, and focus instead on what strengthens and encourages me.

Others have also wrestled with angels in the darkness; others have also held on until dawn.  We are all part of the same dance, and the same song.


Today's Links
Everywhere Dance (Bruce Cockburn)  
Instrumental version performed by co-composer Andy Milne
Lyrics & Comments of Bruce Cockburn
Joining the Human Conversation

Stella Adler Quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment